I really do know everything I need to know to lose at least forty pounds. I have lost forty pounds more than a few times. If they’d stayed lost, my weight would be in a healthy range. But they didn’t. They came back (and then some). I’m not sure I know what I need to know in order to maintain the weight loss but that’s a different story.
Or is it?
But, let’s focus on the positive. Let’s see what I do know, for sure, about health and weight loss.
- No one specific diet is best for all. No, wait.
- There is only one best diet for all –a diet with whole, natural foods– after that, it really doesn’t matter all that much.
- You have to eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight –no matter what you eat.
- Too much sugar –even in a homemade fruit smoothie– stresses the body.
- Too much fat –in the diet of someone without a gallbladder– is just nasty.
- Exercise alone will not shed the pounds.
- Exercise is essential for good health and weight maintenance.
- If you want to minimize muscle loss, lift weights.
- Lack of sleep, stress and salt all contribute to a lack of weight loss
- Adipose tissue sets up an inflammatory environment which through the manipulation of hormones maintains the body in a fatty, inflammatory state.(Yes, obesity is both a cause –and a result– of inflammation.) (1)
Also, I know this: any weight I lose has to be gone forever, otherwise, what’s the point? I truly believe this excess weight is not good for me.
I really hate to post this picture: but I have to. I can’t hide, forever. The first of every month. A picture and my measurements. This is where I’m at:
weight: 268.6 lbs
I feel like I really have no idea what I am doing.